Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Weekend-end

I heard somewhere that more heart attacks occur on Sunday nights than any other time of the week.
I will admit to you I did not fact check that.  I simply believe it.  Just because it makes sense.

Even for me, as a stay at home mom, the "weekend-end" can be daunting.  Monday morning comes with a not-so-gentle way of reminding me of the to do list that can consume me.  The list that I could wrap around the perimeter of my home at least three times.

Sunday evenings are also full of thoughts of what I learned in church that morning.  How much I long to be closer to my Lord and more like Him.  And how far I have to go to attain those goals.

I also prepare for those good-byes on Monday mornings.  Oh, how I love my sweet weekend time with David.  I love the way we chat while I'm working in the kitchen.  I love how he will come up behind me and put his loving hands on my shoulders while I'm working on my writing.  And there is just something divinely rich about a Sunday afternoon filled with one INTENSE game of FARKLE as we all sit gathered around the coffee table in our tiny living room.  As the children climb in their beds for Sunday night sleep, they are peaceful.  But, as their momma, I deal with the thought that for seven hours tomorrow I send them out into the world.  Some moms can't wait for Monday mornings, and while I'm always thankful for the way my productivity rises, I know that there is so much more to life than productivity.  Sunday nights always make me doubt the very hard decision to put Lydia in preschool.  I know I made the right choice for her.  It's me I worry about.

I often find myself goal setting on Sunday nights.  And while I enjoy that goal setting, and it's benefits in my life, it is quite anxiety provoking for me.  I'm getting better at biting off small, attainable pieces.  But, writing down all that I need to accomplish in my spiritual growth goals, adding in my physical goals, constantly adjusting my spending habits, my communication goals, AND my writing plans...well, you could see how a girl could get nauseous   Sometimes, I wish I was a normal American, and just could forget goal setting all together! (No offense to my non-planning fellow Americans...just a trend I have observed.)

But, I'm not normal.  God has a rich calling on my life.  I recognize it---and I plan to live it out. JOYFULLY!

And, I will take that "unnormalness" to the next level.  I will choose, right here and right now to make my Sunday night tasks a beautiful thing simply by adding an element of praise to my life.  See, I spend so much time focusing on what *I* have to do in the next 5 weekdays, that I forget to praise *God* for what he has done in the last 30 years of my life.

And besides, in Colossians 3:2 It simply tells us "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."  Doesn't that sound like the perfect key to let go all of the things that weigh us down on a Sunday evening?  It sure does to me! 


1 comment:

  1. Goals are good, and you're smart enough to give yourself a break once in a while. It used to frustrate me no end when I couldn't do all 3 of the things I wanted to do every morning. Only 3 things: spend an hour on devotions, an hour exercising, and an hour writing. Hello -- you've got to eat, tidy up the kitchen, throw in a load of laundry, answer the phone (friend in need, 1 hour gone), switch washer to dryer, come back and fold. Clean the bathroom, run the sweeper in case someone stops over. NOON? Are you kidding me?

    New plan. Devotions and writing get combined. Running upstairs and down gathering laundry, running sweeper, cleaning tub counts as exercise. Later in the day I can really write and really exercise. Provided I'm not running to the grocery store, making a time intensive dinner, having a friend over, paying bills, washing windows...you get the idea? Hence the verse in the Bible -- whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord not for men. Col 3:23 Maybe God should have added, "But remember, you can't do everything!"

    It seems though, Sarah, you come pretty close to doing it all! You are amazing. God Bless ya.

    ReplyDelete